Friday 20 April 2018

Language ...... or lack of it!

Ok so I've always been crap at learning languages so can speak a grand total of one .... English! I must admit tho, I'm pretty fluent in that one :)

I have distant memories of learning French at school. And a rather prominent memory of being kicked out of my French oral exam for losing my temper and swearing at my teacher. Something along the lines of 'why the f**k do I need to know this s**t anyway, I'm never going to f**king use it'. Oh the naivety of a 15 year old farmers girl!! Although I'm not fully to blame, farmers were a little behind the times back then and I was being brought up with the expectations that I would work as a secretary and then marry and become a housewife! I didn't want to become a secretary but that was the only course I was allowed to do at college ...... I think I have spent my life rebelling against the 'norm' purely because of that! My parents have since given up trying to tell me what to do and just shrug and say 'whatever'!!

Anyway back to the language.....

I have tried to learn Spanish as an adult, kinda, in a half hearted type of way. I'm not so good at being motivated if there isn't a reason for learning something new. There was no real reason for learning Spanish other than I thought it would be nice to know. Turns out, that's not a good enough reason for me!

But now we are moving to Bulgaria, where they speak a TOTALLY different language with no latin alphabet and where English is only really spoken in tourist areas by younger people. And we have chosen to live in a rural area surrounded mainly by older traditional people. UMMM PROBLEM!!

I have looked at various different ways to start learning. Thankfully some of the words are very similar to ours; but the rest are totally different! And the alphabet?!  Whats that all about?!

 
This may take some time!!
 
So top tip number one ..... listen to Bulgaria radio as often as possible. You can not learn a language if you have no idea what it sounds like; which is why it is easier to learn a language when you are already living in the country. During the day I only have Bulgarian radio on, its just in the background. I don't understand a word they are saying but it is training my brain to the sounds and pronunciations.
I will soon start watching TV in Bulgarian; not local TV, shows that I would watch here which have been translated. Hopefully I can find some with English subtitles but I'm sure it will still help without them, especially if I can find films or TV shows that I know well ..... I could quote pretty woman or dirty dancing word for word!!
 
I have searched the internet for children's type worksheets which I have printed and will start using to learn the alphabet. One positive of the Bulgarian language is that the words are pronounced as they are written so if I can learn to read the letters and understand what each one sounds like then I am a step closer to understanding the language. I need to be able to read as well as speak it, menus and road signs are rarely translated so if I want to eat and find my way around then reading is vital!
 
I have watched various YouTube videos and looked at many web sites but haven't yet found anything that I think will help me. Traditional teaching methods bore me so I lose interest and don't learn. I have decided just to focus on learning the alphabet my way and then decide from there ..... wish me luck!
 
Oh and as for getting Matt to learn the language .... hmmmmmm, that will be an even tougher task. He doesn't get much spare time and he doesn't have the same OCD level of researching and learning as I do. I suspect he will just pick it up from me when I am using it while over there. Speaking it will be the priority for him which will be easier to pick up when he is surrounded by it.
 
That's me done for today. Thanks for those who read and comment, its greatly appreciated.



2 comments:

  1. Hello again! I am sorry, but I have forgotten your name. Anyway, I read your post about trying to learn Bulgarian and I thought that I really must write to you.

    One of the positive reasons (and there might be some negatives!) for using the services of Bulgarian Properties is that they do have English-speaking staff and they are used to dealing with a lot of English clients. When it comes to contracts and buying a house, you just cannot afford to get it wrong and so I would recommend an English-speaking lawyers, even if you do not use BP.

    Secondly, my wife and I have found the EUROTALK "Learn Bulgarian" computer program really helpful. I think that it costs about 20 euros. There is also another CD ROM for more advanced beginners.

    Personally, I have found that flashcards are a great way to learn. These cards are have a picture and some Bulgarian on one side, with the English and the pronunciation (the transliterated Bulgarian) on the other side. These cards are a great way to learn and they are easy to make. You do not need a computer to use them! I still think that I have quite a few of them that you could have, if you want them.

    If you really get stuck or you need something a bit technical to be translated, then of course there is always Google Translate. It is pretty quick, but of course you will need a smartphone that works in Bulgaria.

    If you think that learning Bulgarian might be a little bit difficult, then try Mandarin Chinese. Now that really is a tough one. Fortunately I have a wonderful Chinese assistant who helps me with anything that needs to be translated, as well as some great English-speaking Chinese friends.

    Best wishes from China,

    Simon & Irena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fella sounds just like mine, when we stayed at our house for the first time in April he turned to me and said "your going to have to learn Bulgarian" I think he thinks he can opt out. Well we're back next week and I think that I'll get him to do the shopping in the village.
    Katt

    ReplyDelete

Well its been a while!

Our plans, along with most other peoples, hit a bump called Covid 19. But there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully a more '...